Sunday, May 17, 2015

You Win Some and You Lose Some

Sometimes it is worth it to accept an offer that is lower than you thought you were willing to take. Especially if it is only a few dollars difference. "But I am here to make money, not lose money!" you say. Right, but don't view each sale in a vacuum. Each package you ship out is a chance to create a repeat customer. If she is happy with her purchase, she will return. 

Here is an example of an item I let go for a steal. This dress was listed for about a year in my closet and I didn't have a lot of interest on it. I originally listed it around $250 and was slowly lowering the price. I got this offer for $100 and accepted it immediately. Let me explain why. First of all, this dress is huge. It was taking up lots of precious closet space. But more importantly, the offer came from a "power user." She has a huge following, a successful blog, and she wears my size!! So I could reap the benefits of losing money on this dress in two ways 1. I could impress her and win over a repeat customer and 2. If she blogged about her wedding, wearing the dress I sold her, I could capitalize on that exposure. Unfortunately the dress didn't fit her perfectly and she went with something else. But it was worth the loss to me. 



It might also be worth it to lose money on a transaction if you are trying to clear out space in your closet, whether it is your real closet or your Poshmark closet. Don't underestimate the value of making space. Certain items just don't photograph well, and those listings aren't doing your closet any favors. Let somebody buy them if they want them. Get them out of there!

You'll make up for it on another sale. You know it happens once in awhile. You marked up the price on something you were on the fence about selling. And then a silent buyer swoops in and buys it at your listed price. Cha Ching. That's a nice profit right there. 

You win some and you lose some. 

No comments:

Post a Comment