Monday, August 3, 2015

Weight Gain? No Problem! How Poshmark Helped My Confidence.

Did you ever think about the benefits to buying and selling on Poshmark that go beyond the deals to be had and the extra pocket money? There are so many! But I have been thinking a lot lately about something that I really really love about shopping all of your closets. And that is accepting my body the way it is. 


Over the years I have fluctuated between a size 2 and a size 12 and that doesn't even count my two pregnancies. I am pretty sure my happy healthy size is between 6-8. If I am over or under that something is wrong. Size 12 = stress and poor time/life management. And size 2 = anxiety and fear. I will explain in a bit. 

But first let me tell you why I am embracing where I am now, which is on the heavier side. And it has been like this for about 2 years now. I am ok with it. First of all, because I know it is a reflection of this current stage in my life and secondly, because I now know that every size is beautiful. And you all are living proof of that. 

Before I joined Poshmark, my fashion inspiration came from magazines. And my shopping experiences consisted of clothes displayed on mannequins or modeled by perfect bodies in catalogues and on websites. When I got dressed, I saw something very different in the mirror. It did not match my perception of what those clothes would look like on me. And I judged myself harshly. And unfairly. I am normal and you all helped me see that. 

Those models are size 4-6. So ofcourse the clothes look great on them. Poshmark is different. I love buying a size 12 dress that I found in a size 12's closet. If you can rock it, I can rock it. And I love the confidence of all of you ladies who model your listings. You are seriously gorgeous, no matter what size. I see all of your beauty and confidence and realize that I have been judging myself too harshly and holding myself up to an unattainable ideal. 

Even at my healthiest, rowing two hours a day and doing weight workouts on top of that, I was a size 4-6, and pear shaped. And I hated my hips. Then I thought I was huge when I got up to a size 8 the first time. I hated myself and all of those lunches at Taco Bell. 

Then I lost some weight and everyone who saw me told me how great I looked. I was down to a size 2, even in the hips!! And this was post-baby! The truth is, I was going through a divorce at the time. Best diet ever - devastation and anxiety. I don't recommend it.

And where I am now is a combination of hectic schedule, both me and my husband, 3 kids and a blended family, and crazy stress at work. So you can see that the last thing I should be worrying about is my body. That would just add to the stress. So I've got to work with what I've got. Another plug for Posh - I am able to purchase a whole wardrobe, in what I hope to be this temporary size, without breaking the bank! And when I get back to a healthy weight for my body type, I can pass these gorgeous clothes on to someone else who will love them as much as I have. Win win. 

I am a little hesitant to share this with you, in case I fail, but maybe it can help hold me accountable, so here goes. I found a dress that I couldn't resist. I had my eye on it for so long, but didn't dare purchase because it wouldn't fit me right now. It went on sale, and I couldn't resist, so I bought it, promising myself that I will fit into it dammit!!

 

And I told the seller, @mykidsfault, who has an amazing closet BTW, so now I have someone in my corner cheering me on! That was about a month ago, and I have lost 7 pounds, so I am on my way!! And I am doing it by eating well and squeezing in a little exercise. Nothing drastic, so it is sustainable. But in the meantime, thank you Poshmark for helping me embrace the body I am in, no matter what size. 

Keep an eye out for my size 10-12 clothes. I am hoping to post them some day soon!!

Visit my closet at https://poshmark.com/closet/corporatebarbie


1 comment:

  1. What an inspirational blog post. There is something about what you wrote here.. That just drew me in. It's very authentic and genuine... No "bloggers speak" here. I love it. I will remember it... And good job!! But that's besides the point (I just started a blog myself so I pay attention to nicely managed and written blogs!). It's so awesome that Poshmark has been able to offer you this! I just found your blog thru your Poshmark posting too, so I myself am an avid posher. What you say about loving and embracing your body is soooo true and sooo right. We all have to do that. I used to be a size 2-4 and hated myself and had no confidence. Now I'm more in size 6 or sometimes beyond, I am happier and more content. It's all in your mindset, right? Also if you ever listen to podcasts (I have a long commute to work so I do), check out "the Lively Show" you will not regret it!!

    Jessica

    Http://www.mycubiclechic.com

    ReplyDelete